[kdepim-users] Re: Akonadi + nfs home directories

Lars Behrens Lars.Behrens at kit.edu
Thu Mar 31 09:23:07 BST 2011

Am 29.03.2011 21:10, schrieb Martin (KDE):

> I dig a little bit into it. running akonadi on nfs home directories is
> not recommended. This is inherited from the underlying database
> (mysql).

> But it works, nless you don't login on two different
> computers with the same user and start akonadi twice.

Nope, not even that works reliable here. Or at least I didn't get it to
work.

> Network must be
> reliable of course.

That's self-evident with a network fs :-)

> As someone on the mailing list pointed out, it is common in enterprise
> environment to share home directories via nfs. So the bad news is:
> akonadi is not enterprise ready (as long as nfs is used).

Yes and that really is a great bummer. I have to deal with stuff I don't
want to because of that.

> Good news:
> they are working on it.

Duke Nukem Forever comes to my mind, hehe.

> But nfs is no solution on the long run anyway. With laptops sometimes
> connected to the net and sometimes not you have to choose different
> home sync functionality. For my laptop users I do an rsync via ssh of
> the home drive at login and logout. May be it is time to do it for
> desktop computers as well. If there are not that many files in home
> directory it is quite fast (compressed rsync). And a network breakage
> will not kill your session.

Thanks for the input, but that is definitely no option here.

Cheerz,
Lars