[kdepim-users] Re: post -migration issues Kontact 4.6

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 11:32:10 BST 2011

On 30/06/2011 11:16, Darknight wrote:
> 2011-06-30 10:31:03 Thomas Olsen
>>> In Akonadiconsole (or perhaps in System Settings somewhere) create a
>>> Nepomuk Tags resoure. Restart Kontact. Voila - it is in your folders
>>> tree. At least for me
>>
>> Actually I had already added a Tags resource and the folder tree magically
>> appeared. After the last msg I tried to tag some msgs but for some reason
>> the do not show up in the Tags folder tree. Maybe another "give it time"
>> issue ;-)
>
> I've been reading the messages related to kontact 4.6 migration and waiting
> for 4.7 to do it myself. Kmail is instrumental in my job, it has to "just
> work".
> Honestly the "give it time" issue seems a little too widespread and is more
> serious than it seems at first glance. Some way to tell that "there's life out
> there" would be welcome. Imagine I do the migration and don't read this list
> and have to wait several days to see things like search in working order. I'll
> probably do a lot of things that will disrupt the indexing process, like
> wiping my .kde and/or .local to start from scratch, redownload all imap
> folders, re-add local folders etc.
> I will curse kdepim 4.6, think it's crap etc because that way it will never
> work.

Well I have installed from a Kubuntu Experimental PPA and they (kubuntu
developers) intend to keep it there for now. So I was fully aware of
taking a certain risk. That the initial packages were incomplete
(kubuntu packages that is) is another story altogether.

I would not put this in "serious production" if you depend heavily on
Tags and Searching. Apart from that it works just fine - for me. Now.

Regards
Sinclair