[kdepim-users] Re: references of web pages

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jun 24 07:28:33 BST 2011

On Thursday, 2011-06-23, Bernd Gliss wrote:
> I'm using kmail 1.13.5 (kde 4.4.4 rel. 3).  When following references to
> web sites in and in particular to web pages that are composed of several
> files (e.g. css-files or images plus a basic frame file), the base page
> referenced is rendered properly by my web browser (firefox 4.0).  However,
> the component files are assumed to reside in the local cache;  this
> produces corresponding error messages.  The base page is rendered with
> text references to the missing pages whose link addresses point to the
> local cache.
>
> If I simply copy the web page's address into firefox and call that address
> explicitely, everything works fine.
>
> Is there a way for kamil to tell firefox that it should download all
> component files from the site referenced?

This behavior usually means that the command configured for launching the
browser is not correct.

Basically KDE is using information usually provided by the application
developers on how to start the application, including hints on whether the
application can handle URLs itself.

This hint is represented by ether %u or %U appearing in the command for
launching the executable (meaning "can handle one URL" and "can handle list or
URLs" respectively).

If this hint is not present, KDE plays save and assumes only local file
capability, thus downloading the document the URL points to and handing this
temporary file to the newly started application.

Depending on your setup this is either the file association of document type
text/html or the global setting for web browser (system settings -> standard
components).

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring