[kdepim-users] Re: Looking for a "smartphone" that can cooperate with Kubuntu 10.10 together with Kontact.

Ecaroh lists at datenarbeiter.de
Thu Jan 27 15:15:54 GMT 2011

Hi Bas!

Am Donnerstag 27 Januar 2011 schrieb Bas Roufs:
> 2011/1/27 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>:
> > Bas, you might want to follow this developing thread on the Debian
> > list: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user.kde/25211
>
> Thank you, Dotan, I have bookmarked that page immediately. This is
> exactly one of the solutions I am looking at: synchronisation of
> Kontact with Google. I am wondering whether is a practical, viable
> way to go into. In other words: is it possible to synchronise all the
> time the PIM @ Android 2.2 at some smart phone with Kontact @ Kubuntu
> Maverick at the laptop I am working with - via Google?

As long as i heard heard there are lot of working ways to sync over
Google. Totaly lacking is a local sync without having a Google account.

Do you want to give your personal data to Google?

More promising are the sync projects:
http://moblin.org/projects/syncevolution
http://syncevolution.org/

> At the Kubuntu forum, someone told me that there is one phone at
> which Kontact can be installed directly: "Nokia N900". Does anybody
> have experience in such a direction?

Yes, i have. You can install a fully chrooted Debian (ARM) Image on your
Nokia N900. That in fact means, that _every_ package which is in the
Debian ARM Port Repository will run on the Nokia N900. I.e. OpenOffice,
Kmail, Korganizer, Kontact et al.. what ever you need. But the display
is to small to handle real desktop applications. At least you can
synchronize everything whats in the chrooted Debian jail. (Hint: Take
Unison). So, Kontact works on the small display, but it is too
difficult to use it.

To adress the issue of small displays on tablets and mobiles the KDE
Team is working on a Kontact version for small displays, meaning that
you will have a native Kontact on the N900. That should adress all
current problems.

http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact_Mobile
http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact_Touch/Screenshots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWnfny61oI

> Respectfully yours,

Whatever you might expect, imho Android will not be the right place for
syncing Kontact with the mobile phone. I think it will be only a matter
of time till the Nokia N900 will have a way to sync with the PC
Desktop.