[kdepim-users] KMail not starting (Akonadi fails to initialise)

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Jan 26 23:43:06 GMT 2011

After rebooting my system, I can't start kmail successfully (using KDE
4.5, with kdepim 4.4 sources built against it). It does start initially,
but the Akonadi server self test reports errors, notably that the Akonadi
control and server processes are not registered with D-Bus. When I run
'akonadictl start' manually, and then akonadiconsole, one of the earliest
errors which appears on the terminal is:

akonadiconsole(9733)/libakonadi
Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to
get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name
'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name"

Looking in qdbusviewer, I see that org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control.lock is
listed, but no other akonadi services.

There doesn't seem to be anything in userbase.kde.org which helps.

Because I don't use KAddressbook, I don't really see the need for Akonadi
to be running at all, so if there's any way of preventing it from
starting, that would be great.

In case it's relevant, I run Debian lenny, and I had just applied security
updates to dbus, libdbus etc.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.