[kdepim-users] Re: Looking for a "smartphone" that can cooperate with Kubuntu 10.10 together with Kontact.

Markus Feilner lists at feilner-it.net
Fri Jan 28 14:07:15 GMT 2011

Am Thursday 27 January 2011 15:37:11 schrieb Pascal Hasko Bernhard:
> Am Donnerstag 27 Januar 2011, 11:59:30 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> > On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 23:11, Pascal Hasko Bernhard
> >
> > <pascal.hasko.bernhard at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Dotan!
> > >
> > > In fact there is a Thunderbird add-on that does exactly that. It's
> > > called "Zindus" and works fine. You can even use it separately from
> > > your mail-account settings when you don't fetch your Googlemail
> > > messages via Thunderbird. It lets you configure which way to sync your
> > > contacts, it can do it both ways and also how to settle synchronisation
> > > conflicts. I believe it is even one of the recommended add-ons,
> > > Thunderbird suggests to you when you go to Extras > Addons
> >
> > Thank you Pascal. I meant that I do not want my Tbird contacts mixed
> > with my Google contacts. But the Zindus addon might be useful for
> > those that do. In their interest, here is a link:
> > https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/zindus/
> >

> > Thanks.
>
> I'm sorry Dotan,
>
> I totally misunderstood you. And I can see why you do not want have your
> contacts synchronized with Google. I use Zindus sometimes on another
> computer where my Gmail account is the only account set up in Thunderbird,
> and as Google already knows all the addresses of the people I communicate
> with over my Gmail account, the synchronization doesn't make much
> difference to the already compromised privacy.
>
> Pascal

Well, one thing that works on almost every phone since the late 90ies is not
about syncing, but copying: Export adresses or dates via Vcard or Ical Files
to your phone. You can do that via Bluetooth or USB Mass Storage, even WLAN
will work. On most phones, the file extension will be recognized, at least
regarding Vcards. I once had a job where I had to work with sugar CRM and
pretty often had to add new contacts from the Web UI to my phone. Luckily,
Sugar had an "Export Vcard" option, and that file I directed to my phone's
USB Drive.

If you do that via Bluetooth, most of the phones will pop up a "business card
received" - message, asking "Do you want to add this to your address book?".
That way, I managed to get all my contacts to every new phone in one go (you
can export the complete adressbook in one run, and most phones recognize
that). And many also are able to send Vcards via Bluetooth - also to the PC.

I know, this is far from syncing automagically, like Syncml/Active Sync or
Google do - but at least it should work with almost any phone. I successfully
tried that with Siemens (oh my that was during the last Millenium), several
Nokia and Sony devices and Motorola (though I am not perfectly sure about
that any more...). I'll have to try with the HTC Android of a colleague - I
will tell you.

--

Best Regards - Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Markus Feilner

Feilner IT Linux & GIS
Linux Solutions, Training, Seminare, Workshops and Authoring
Koetztinger Strasse 6c          93057 Regensburg - Germany
Phone:                          +49 941 8 10 79 89
Mobile:                         +49 170 3 02 70 92
Web: www.feilner-it.net         mail: mfeilner at feilner-it.net
Xing: http://www.xing.com/profile/Markus_Feilner
Linkedin: http://de.linkedin.com/in/markusfeilner
Linux Magazine Germany:         mfeilner at linuxnewmedia.de