[kdepim-users] Re: Syncing data between computers

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Jan 29 10:03:09 GMT 2011

Am Samstag, 29. Januar 2011 schrieb Werner Joss:
> Am Samstag, 29. Januar 2011, um 10:09:24 schrieb Martin (KDE):
> > Hallo
> >
> > I am currently developing a solution to sync home data between
> > different computers (between different computers and my server).
>
> my proposal: don't reenvent the wheel :)
> - take a look at already existing solutions.
> e.g. dropbox (commercial, free as in beer, however) is ideal for
> me, here. owncloud will be similar, and totally free, once
> matured.
> maybe you can help there ?

Call me paranoid, but I don't want my data spread around in the world.
So dropbox is no option in general. This may be an idea for special
subfolders where I want to share data with a bigger audience, but not
for the whole home directory.

My main problem is the hen and egg one. I have to sync before any kde
or other program was started. otherwise config changes done on another
computer wont be used. And I don't want a second password dialogue for
the storage. Syncing of data has to be done completely in the
background (rsync via ssh at login and logout - this is really similar
to how windows does it).

I currently sync home folders only. All other files user may use from
the server will be either accessed via VPN or must be synced in an
extra step. But with this I have another problem: How can I sync the
permissions without being root?

I must confess that owncloud sounds promising. I will take a closer
look into it if I have the time.

> > In
> > the old days with fix computers I did this via NFS but with the
> > laptops this is no longer possible. Laptop users need their data
> > even if they are not in range of my network.
> >
> > With this I came to the akonadi stuff. The database is stored in
> > .local/cache/akonadi. Can I exclude this data from sync without
> > loosing relevant information?
>
> IMHO, yes.
> akonadi is only a local cache, NOT the data source itself.
> (that will be std.vcf, google or whatever other source akonadi can
> use).

Thanks for the info

Martin