[kdepim-users] Maildir Backend for Akonadi?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Aug 17 12:04:43 BST 2011

Hi Georg,

On Monday, 2011-08-15, Georg Wittenburg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Doing a bit more research on this issue, I stumbled over this thread
> (http://lists.kde.org/?t=130195001200007&r=1&w=2) regarding roughly the
> same problem that I'm having. Specifically, in this message

> > > [Thomas Kleindienst]
> > > Yes... and I did not back up the nepomuk index.
> >
> > [Kevin Kramer]
> > Only tags are. Categorization as in folder tree structure is maildir >
>
> hierachy as usual.
>
> What intrigues me is the last statement "folder tree structure is
> maildir hierachy as usual" since it contraticts what I was able to
> gather from this thread. For now, since several KDE PIM developers have
> replied in this thread, I'll assume that the statement above is incorrect.

Not actually a contradiction at all :)
In the context of the other thread we were discussing local mail (downloaded
from POP3) and I was clearing the user's misconception that it had been moved
to some other location, removing all structure.

The directory the user was looking at was not the local storage location for
mail but Akonadi's file cache.
Local mail storage is either in mbox, maildir or KMail's "mixed tree", the
latter two representing the folder structure through subdirectories in the
file system.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring