[kdepim-users] Maildir Backend for Akonadi?

Georg Wittenburg georg.wittenburg at gmx.net
Tue Aug 9 15:22:38 BST 2011

Hi Andras,

thanks for your reply.

On Tuesday 09 August 2011 16:43:15 Andras Mantia wrote:
> Georg Wittenburg wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just took the leap and migrated my mail over to KMail2/Akonadi. The
> > new
> > system is quite a bit different with the extra layer of indirection that
> > is Akonadi, and hence I have a few question on how to properly set up my
> > accounts.
> >
> > Let's start with a simple one: Apparently, Akonadi stores all mail for
> > my
> > disconnected IMAP accounts in some kind of database format in
> > ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/. Not that I don't trust the KDEPIM
> > devs, but I'd really like to have my the local cache of my
> > (disconnected)
> > IMAP account in maildir format (just as in KMail1). Is this possible,
> > and
> > if so could some please point me to the relevant documentation and/or
> > the
> > configuration dialog?
>
>  No, the cache is right now in the database. Why would you want a second
> cache? With IMAP the cache is synchronized relatively often with the server,
> so you have everything on the server as well.
>  With kmail2 the difference between disconnected is online IMAP is just that
> in disconnected mode not only the headers are downloaded, but the mail body
> as well. The storage is the same (the database and the file_db_data
> folder).

My local mail cache is part of the data that I include in regular backups. I
prefer all my important data (such the mail contained in the mail cache) to be
in a format that is simple and straightforward, and will be readable in ten
years time. Thus, I'd prefer to have my local cache in maildir format rather
than the Akonadi DB format.

Note that I don't want a second cache, I merely want my main cache to be in
maildir format as it used to be with KMail1. I'm aware that there is an option
to archive folders in KMail2, however, this is quite tedious as compared to
simply creating a TGZ of my $HOME folder.

While I generally applaud the work on KMail2/Akonadi and consider it to be a
great idea, I'm afraid that the ability to create backups and know that the
file formats are simple and widely supported is quite an essential feature for
me.

Now, from your mail I take it that KMail2/Akonadi don't support maildir as
backing store for the cache. I'd thus appreciate any suggestions on how I can
achieve my long term storage goals while continuing to use this software.

Thanks for your help,

	Georg