[kdepim-users] undo kmail2 migration?

upscope upscope at nwi.net
Wed Aug 3 05:07:46 BST 2011

On Tuesday, August 02, 2011 01:19:28 PM Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that KMail2 has proven unusable for me during the last few days,
> the question is if there is a safe way back to kmail1.
> All emails are pop2 and stored in ~/Mail.
> I have hopes that the bugs are fixed, but until then I'd like to have
> a working email reader, without destroying any akonadi database or
> future update paths.
> Any experience? Just downgrade and start KMail1?
>
> Thanks
> Marcel
I backed out KDE 4.7 today after installing it this morning and finding
kmail2 unusable. All I did was enable the K46 repo and disabled the K47
repo. Then using YaST clicked update for all rpms that showed red and a
downgrade to KDE4.6.5. It a dependence showed I clicked the downgrade
option. After all was done, I rebooted and started Kontact (Kmail 4.6.5
eas there. After restarting kmail about three times all my folders, old
emails and contacts showed up. Only proble was then some confusion bu
kmail and duplicate messages from the successful migration when I
installed kde 4.7. I found that ~home/.kde4/share/apps/kmail2 folder was
still there, I renamed it kmail2-old, I left kmail-migrator folder
alone, even though I think you can deleted both. Kmail is now back to
normal and worked as before.

Only thing apparently not migrated or restored was my calendar but i had
both a ics and vcs backup. I just clicked on the back file (ics first)
and it asked what I wanted to do. I answer merge with default calendar.

Everything else that I use seemed to work in 4.7. If I could get the
distribution groups to work I'd stay with 4.6.5 for awhile. Not sure if
4.7 work, could not test it. Will try on 12.1 ms3 tommorrow.

Hope above helps.
--
Russ