[kdepim-users] Kmail encryption

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Aug 19 17:54:18 BST 2011

On Friday 19 August 2011, James K. Gruetzner wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> Based upon negative results with internet search engines, I think I
> already know the answer to this, but on the chance that my innate
> ignorance has once again manifested itself, I thought I'd check
> here.
>
> My company uses Entrust SSL (?) for encrypting personal information.
> As near as I can tell, there is no way to use this within kmail, or
> even within Linux at all.

That's difficult to answer. I had a quick look at their website. They
offer SSL certificates, they offer PKI and they offer an encryption
gateway. On http://www.entrust.com/secure-email/index.htm they write

"For organizations or individuals that don't require a full e-mail
encryption platform, Entrust offers publicly trusted secure e-mail
digital certificates that enable users to encrypt and digitally sign e-
mails and other documents. Based on the S/MIME standard, these
specialized certificates are compatible with today's most popular e-mail
applications (e.g., Microsoft Outlook/Express, Mozilla Thunderbird,
Apple Mail and more)."

As they mention the S/MIME standard and say that it works for Mozilla
Thunderbird then I see no reason why it shouldn't work with KMail as
well. KMail supports encryption with S/MIME. Moreover, KMail supports
SSL for the common mail protocols SMTP (for sending) and IMAP and POP
(for receiving/reading).

But maybe Entrust SSL is something completely different.