[kdepim-users] Maildir Backend for Akonadi?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Aug 11 06:44:17 BST 2011

Am 10.08.2011 17:58, schrieb Georg Wittenburg:
> On 10.08.2011 07:22, Martin (KDE) wrote:
>> [...]
>> If it is for backup, why don't you copy the imap data over to a local
>> imap server? There are tools like imapsync and similar to handle this. I
>> set up a little server at home for this (ok, not only this but all kind
>> of sharing). And dovecot is easy to set up and uses maildir internally.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds workable, and I'll reconsider it
> should I decide to setup a home server once again. However, for know I
> like to keep my machine count (and admin duties) as low as possible.

About four years ago I had the same problem. As the rest of my family
began to use PCs as well and want to share documents, mails, media files
and other stuff between the computers and want to use the infrastructure
(printer, scanner ...) I decided to set up a dedicated server.

This grew up to a (almost) full blown server (PIM, Samba, LDAP,
kerberos, VPN, UPnP/DLNA ...) with a centralized backup and central
stored home data (NFS for stationary clients and rsynced for mobile
clients). It is just to proof my admin skills.

And regarding PIM (that's the way back to akonadi): This is the first
time I can sync contacts and calendars from my mobile (android and iPod
touch) to thunderbird and kmail2. I simply use a CalDAV/CardDAV server
(SOGo in this case). And sharing between different users is working as well.

Regards

Martin