[kdepim-users] Re: [opensuse] Kmail preview pane

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Sun Apr 3 02:33:29 BST 2011

On Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:28:38 AM Ingo Klöcker Ingo Klöcker
<kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 02 April 2011, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > I am using this laptop for mail for the first time since installing
> > 11.4. In Configure Kmail > Appearance, I have checked "Show message
> > preview pane beneath message,
>
> Hmm. There is a "list" missing after message. The option reads "Show
> the message preview pane below the message list".
>
> > but it doesn't show anywhere.
> >
> > Checking "Show message preview pane at the side" causes the Message
> > listpane to expand and  replace the Message pane completely, and a
> > new pane to open at the right, in which the  MESSAGE is displayed.
> > The preview information still appears nowhere.
>
> Either you misunderstand the option or I misunderstand your message.
> You write "a new pane to open at the right, in which the  MESSAGE is
> displayed". This pane is the preview pane. What do you expect the
> preview pane to be? Are you looking for the old "message structure
> pane"?

It is a given that it is I that misunderstands.

I am indeed looking for the message structure pane, or whatever current
feature it is that offers the same functionality.

> > In other words, there is no way that I can see a preview,
>
> What kind of preview do you expect? Would it be better if the
> "preview pane" would be called "message pane"?

I had concluded from Bob's response that "preview pane" is a new synonym
for "message pane". I do not intend to quibble over nomenclature, but
yes, that would have been clearer. As it is, the message is now its own
preview (or a preview of what?), which does not, to me, add clarity --
even if, for some reason, that pane needs to have two names.

> > and no way
> > that I can view any HTML attachment, which I sometimes need to do.
> > How to make a more rational layout?
>
> I don't understand what you want to achieve. What kind of HTML
> attachment do you want to view? All attachments should be listed. If
> you want to show an HTML message as HTML then you need to enable
> "Prefer HTML to Plain Text" for the folder temporarily.

I despise HTML in email, but I receive a lot of messages (e.g. blogs
with a more complex structure) that are not simple plain-text, but
contain HTML and images. And the HTML often has links that are not
available in the plain text. I often save the HTML of such messages,
which I do not see how to do now. I have several such in my inbox now,
which I know to have a complex structure, and I see no indication of
this on my screen. Where is it that I can see the structure, and access
the HTML copy of the message?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on