[kdepim-users] Re: Akonadi + nfs home directories

Lars Behrens Lars.Behrens at kit.edu
Fri Apr 8 09:21:31 BST 2011

Am 05.04.2011 10:28, schrieb Martin (KDE):

>>> rm -r ~/.local/share/akonadi
>>> mkdir -p /tmp/akonadi-USERNAME/akonadi
>>> cd ~/.local/share
>>> ln -s /tmp/akonadi-USERNAME/akonadi .
>>>
>>> Then edit $HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc and add
>>>
>>> [Connection]
>>> SocketDirectory=/tmp/akonadi-USERNAME/

[...]

> This has to be done per script. This should not be that hard to
> implement. Add this script to /etc/kde/env (on fedora - on suse this
> path may be different) it takes car of the correct settings. But don't
> use /tmp for this. These data may be deleted automatically or at every
> reboot. Use /var/tmp.

Ok, found time to test it on two clients, seems to work. Thank you
Myrosia and Martin (btw. the path in SUSE is /usr/share/kde4/env/).

To work means: I can start kdepim/kaddressbook with akonadi in several
clients, but of course new records only show up on the client on wich
they have been created.

But it is a workaround which might give us time to search for a solution
in the long run.

> Adding the UNIX_SOCKET line at every config setup may be a bug. Is
> this overwritten if you set this socket to /var/tmp/akonadi-
> USERNAME/mysql.socket?

Hasn't happened here yet.

> But why don't you want to sync the home directory from/to the server
> at login/logout? May be Microsoft is not the reference here, but they
> do it since the beginning (at least can do).

Main reasons: Too much data per user to shovel around (up to GB per
user/session ). Same problem here like with nfs, how to deal with two
running seasons.

> And terminals don't get around the problem. If a user is logged in
> twice the programs will run twice as well. Only if the user gets two
> different views of the same desktop this will work. But I don't know
> of any system implementing this.

I am hoping to find out a way to take over exising sessions, like the
way it happens with windows server when you log on.

Cheerz,
Lars