[kdepim-users] Re: Using subkeys to sign messages with Kontact and GnuPG

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 00:20:16 BST 2011

2011/4/14 Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:
> You might be experiencing gpg's default behavior.
> So you might try to append an exclamation mark (!) to the fingerprint of
> the desired subkey.

Yes, it's clear to me now that this is gpg's behavior.  I tried
appending a ! to the end of the key fingerprint in the emailidentities
file and it does not change anything.  If I'm not mistaken key
fingerprints are all the same length, so KMail may just be using the
first x number of characters in it's interaction with gpg.

Perhaps an option in the file and in the GUI (a checkbox) such as:
force-exact-keyid=yes

When set to yes, KMail appends a ! to the keyid that is listed in
emailidentities.

This would mean that to use this feature in the GUI, the interface
that shows you the list of available signing keys would need to change
so that it shows all usable primary and subkeys that you can sign with
and gives you the choice of selecting which one to sign with.

> Try the above. If that fails then your only option might be to use two
> separate (probably cross-signed) keys.

Since the other idea does not work, I will try two separate keys.  I'm
also going to submit a wishlist report to bugs.kde.org about this.
Maybe someone will add support for subkeys some day.

Thanks for your help!
Rob