[kdepim-users] How do I backup a user's PIM data

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 15:01:04 BST 2010

On Thursday 09 September 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 09 Sep 2010 13:30:18 David Goodenough wrote:
> > I had a problem recently for which the only reasonable cure was to
> > delete .kde, or rather replace it with a new one.  But the same could
> > occur if I was moving from one machine to another, or replacing the
> > hard drive in a laptop.
> >
> > I found that I had to copy all manner of bits and pieces across to get
> > all the functionality of kdepim up and running again, but I still missed
> > and had to recreate some.
> >
> > This problem will only get worse with the introduction of the database
> > based Akonadi and more bits get moved into the DB.  And of course
> > during the migration what needs to be copied and from where will
change.

> > Would it be a good idea to have a backup/restore utility which mirrors
> > the current layout and produces a complete and comprehensive
backup
> > of all current features of kdepim?

http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Transfer_mail_and_setting

s_to_another_computer_.28or_another_user_account_on_the_same_machine.29
> gives you all the information you need, if read in conjunction with
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook - that is as long as
you
> are still using the version of KDEPIM that ships with KDE 4.4 and 4.5.  If
> you have installed the betas for KDEPIM2 you will have to guess the
> implications, for now, until the page gets updated.
>
> Anne

Thank you for the pointer.  I have to say that both those pages, and your
notes about KDEPIM2 just scream for a script that is in step with the code
and that packagers could adjust for base directories (.kde[4]).

David