[kdepim-users] Archive of emails

Robert Smits labour at telus.net
Thu Sep 9 17:58:11 BST 2010

On August 26, 2010 02:56:28 am Llewellyn Lee wrote:
> Hello All,
> 		Today I found something that might have those of you doubt the need for
>  an archive facility for email convinced of the need.
>
> Since I joined KDEPIM_USERS only a few days ago I have had 48 emails  from
>  it and sent a good number myself,
>
> These emails are not valuable but I would like to have them available for
> reference  MAYBE at some future date.
>
> They stay there and get backed up every night ??? very innefficient.
> If I can archive them on cheap removeable media it would be ideal.
>
> same applies to that picture of the latest child just born into a remote
> branch of my family that they sent me by email.
> I will certainly remember they sent it to me but will be very embarrased if
>  I no longer have that PIc next year when aunt Maltida comes to visit.
>
> If I archive the email complete with attached  Picture I can find it again
>  but it will not live on my hard drive, being backed up nightly.
>
> Realy we need an archive or an export facility. for Kmail.
> We also need one for the Contacts file/address book.and the journal and the
> even the Todo files.
>

> Regardas
> Llewellyn

Llewellyn, I doubt very much you're going to find anyone to develop new code
for KDE 3.5.

While it still works, it's lifetime is at the end point. Development work is
going into KDE 4.3 and up. That's just a fact of life.

It's also relatively easy to archive mail in KDEPIM 3.5.

First, you can set an expiry date for each mail folder by right clicking on
it. When you set that you can specify a particular folder to move the mail to,
instead of deleting it, if you desire. So specify an archive folder.

Then just copy the folder with the old mail to some sort of archive. I think
I'd do it with rsync and a cheap usb drive, though, since dvds don't hold very
much, and their lifespan is questionable.

Every time I update my os, I copy home/user/apps kmail, Kabc, Korganizer as
well as home/user/config kmail, kabc, korganizer, kaggregator, etc. to a
backup file.

--
Robert Smits CEP525G

Nanaimo, Duncan & District Labour Council
Box 822 Nanaimo, V9R 5N2 Ph 250-760-0547
Fax 250-760-0548 Email labour at telus.net