[kdepim-users] Kmail indexing killed my pc :)

Darknight darknight7 at tiscali.it
Tue Sep 7 10:00:16 BST 2010

Lately I've worked a lot on my email folders, reorganizing them, converting
old stuff from maildir to mbox format for archival purposes etc.
I also had to correct a few maildir problems on the server (which I
administer) so in the end I just wiped the dIMAP account on my laptop and
rebuilt it.
The rebuild process was a slow and painful one, with kmail constantly doing a
lot of disk i/o. Then the rebuild process finished, but kmail was still doing
an awful lot of i/o, to the point of being almost unresponsive and slowing my
laptop to a crawl. I left the pc sitting there for quite e few hours and when
I came back it seemed it had finished whatever it was doing. Then after a few
clicks it was all over again: several hours of heavy i/o, disk read in
particular.
I spent some time with lsof iotop and the like and I've come to a conclusion:
kmail was rebuilding the indexes for the big folders I had migrated the day
before.
I suppose the devs were positive that it should be doable in background as a
low priority task, but in my case it was a major hindrance. What drove me
crazy was the fact that I didn't know what it was doing, the reindexing didn't
even start right after I had finished handling those folders, it begun later
for no apparent reason and lasted for a whole day.
Hence my question: should this kind of task be listed in the task list, in the
bottom right corner of the program? At least it would be obvious why things
are happening, even if I could not stop it from happening. Maybe the user
should be able to pause indexing? I hope this kind of problem will be
addressed with the switch to nepomuk/akonadi.

--
The Fibonacci in Lateralus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY