[kdepim-users] Font size in KMail HTML viewer

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Sep 7 19:27:01 BST 2010

On Tuesday 07 September 2010, Stan Goodman wrote:
> [...]
> > On Monday 06 September 2010, Stan Goodman wrote:

> > > I don't know how it can be made more clear.

> > > Then maybe this is a good time to try Evolution. Perhaps it is
> > > more complete than KMail in this respect.
> > >
> > > ^+ and ^- are normal for browsers; one  would have thought that
> > > the developers of KMail would have understood why they are
> > > handy. Apparently they don't.
> >
> > Yeah, we don't. The reason for this is probably that the KMail
> > developer (me included) don't receive an awful lot of HTML mail
> > that we actually care to look at in HTML mode. Therefore, all of
> > those annoying HTML messages with way too small font sizes
> > (unknowingly enforced by the senders of those messages) have never
> > bothered us enough to make us add this functionality. Yeah, we are
> > lame bastards. If you think the Evolution guys are cleverer than
> > us then go try their product. I won't shed a tear.
> >
> > Sorry for the sarcasm, but all of those threats of users that they
> > will switch to another application if we don't implement some
> > feature they cannot live without are laughable. If they are lucky
> > then we will simply ignore their ridiculous threats, but I'd guess
> > most of the time we will not only ignore their threats but we will
> > also ignore their request. So by threatening us either you achieve
> > exactly nothing or you achieve the opposite of what you thought
> > you'd achieve.
> >
> > > I find the text displayed in the HTML viewer to be so small that
> > > I need to squint, or sometimes to give up reading it and go on
> > > to something more productive. It is very hard to believe that
> > > there is no means provided to enlarge the text. Or to use
> > > instead an external viewer like a browser.
> >
> > I suggest that you simply switch to plain text mode for those
> > messages. If in plain text mode you don't see the full text and in
> > the HTML mode the fonts are way too small then the sender probably
> > doesn't want you to read his message. Complain to him that he
> > shouldn't send messages with such a small font size.
>
> For the record: I NEVER send HTML-formatted email messages. I
> generally express my annoyance with others that send me such
> messages, explaining to them the 1) fancy formatting has no real
> place in mail, and 2) in cases where I would like to save the
> message, I need to go to the extra step of deleting the HTML crap
> which bloats the message by a factor of about four or more.
>
> I receive a lot of email newsletters. Some of these are readable as
> plain text, while some are less convenient because they are not even
> separated into paragraphs because they assume the
> Microsoft-encouraged bad habit of HTML formatting. Indeed, some
> newsletters consist entirely of an HTML version, with no plain text
> at all. I need to read them. That you don't see a need for me to do
> so reflects only the fact that your product is designed entirely for
> your convenience, with little or no thought about the needs of the
> others who use it because they don't really have an alternative.

You misunderstood me. Nowhere did I write that I don't see a need for
_you_ to do so.

> Very likely you have never enquired about the needs of people who
> are not on the development team. That attitude is made very clear in
> your response quoted above. I do not think it is defensible.

I have fixed hundreds of bugs (and quite a few feature requests)
reported by people who are not on the development team when I still
actively worked on KMail.

> And the ugly fact is that there IS a real need for an ability to
> adjust the size of text in HTML emails.

And, as Pascal reports, it is even possible to do so with a current
KMail. Maybe you should consider upgrading from the prehistoric KDE 3 to
KDE 4 before you consider switching to a different mail client. Just a
suggestion.