[kdepim-users] Re: kmail error

Pascal Bernhard pascal.hasko.bernhard at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 8 03:43:55 BST 2010

Am Donnerstag 07 Oktober 2010 14:30:35 schrieb Ulf von Barth:
> Dear KDE users,
>
> I recently "upgraded" to KDE 4.4.5 just to find that kmail does not
> work properly any more on my new AMD dual core
> (x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+) computer
> running Gentoo Linux (2.6.34-gentoo-r6-cyprien-FTT).
> When I open kmail I get error messages from Akonadi (see enclosed
> file). If I ignore the message I can use kmail as I did before the
> "upgrade" but if I click away the message, kmail crashes.
> I laso discovered that my machine is now about a factor of ten
> slower than before the upgrade. This is most likely due to new
> software automatically installed by my latest KDE such as
> nepomuk and strigi. Needless to say, I have no use for akonadi,
> nepomuk, or strigi!
> How can I solve this problem?
> Best Regards, vonbarth

Hi Ulf,

I can only give you a tip for the second issue of deactivating nepomuk/strigi.
You can turn off these 'services', which should make your computer faster and
lead to much less CPU ressources being used. So far I have not experienced any
disadvantages of deactivating strigi desktop search or nepomuk, but Kmail is
only my secondary mail client and I do not use Kontact very much, so your
experience might be different.

So how to actually do this:

Go to "System Settings" to configure your KDE apps globally and there click on
the tab "Advanced"
Under "Desktop Search" you can turn off "Nepomuk semantic services" and/or
"strigi"
If you go back to "System Settings" - tab "Advanced", right next to "Desktop
Search" you can have a look at a list of all KDE services started automatically
when booting or manually while running. You might want to turn off something else
too.
This trick did wonders for me as about 25-30 % of my CPU power was used up by
file indexing. Quite frankly I still cannot see much of an advantage there, for
as a simple user my data is not so large that these services should make much
difference, but maybe there are some cool tools/options I do not know of which
require them.
I do not know how to configure the other services one would rather like to be
turned off, but I think others on this list will be able to help you and it might
actually be quite easy to do just by looking a little bit around in "System
Settings".

I hope this helps at least a little bit,

Pascal

--

Pascal Bernhard
Schwalbacher Straße 7