[kdepim-users] Re: not all Contacts available

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 25 07:44:31 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 24 Nov 2010 23:29:50 Myrosia Dzikovska wrote:
> I had a similar problem on FC13. For me, the KAddressBook was showing
> two address books: the one I imported from file (which KAddressBook
> helpfully called "Address Book") and another one which seemed to be
> automatically created, called "Personal Contacts". With some
> experimentation and google searching I discovered that KMail only
> showed addressed from Personal Contacts, and not from the imported
> address book. So after I copied everything over to Personal Contacts,
> it showed up again.
>
> To be honest, I still don't understand why it was like that, and found
> the whole process extremely unintuitive. If anyone has a sensible
> explanation for this, I'd be interested to hear that!

Start by reading http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook and
http://userbase.kde.org/KAddressBook .together with other pages linked from
there.

You can keep both addressbooks enabled, but it's better to disable the old
one, once you have migrated, so that new addresses are automatically saved to
Personal Contacts (the records are in ~/.local/share/contacts).  Akonadi
manages the database for them, but doesn't touch the records themselves.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group