[kdepim-users] ONLY start KMail?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed May 12 22:41:30 BST 2010

On Friday 07 May 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Fri May 7 2010, Kishore wrote:
> > On Friday 07 May 2010 6:24:10 pm John Aldrich wrote:
> > > Is there any way to start KMail without starting all the other
> > > crap such as  calendar, reminders, etc associated with KDEPIM?
> > > All I want is email. If I want a calendar, I'll start it, but
> > > 99.999% of the time, all I want is email.
> > >
> > > I'm NOT looking for an Outlook replacement on my linux box, just
> > > a plain old email client!
> >
> > Ok... Calm down! :) Just run kmail instead of kontact. :)
>
> Ah, but I am. Akonadi still spawns all that crap in the background:
> [john at slave1 ~]$ ps aux | grep akonadi
[snip]

What is your problem with this?

> This from running "Kmail" from the "K" menu. Now, how is that NOT the
> same as essentially running Kontact? It's not that I can't afford
> the CPU/Memory utilization (I can -- the machine is more than
> powerful enough) it's that I don't *want* all that crap, even
> running in the background. I am having heat problems and I'm doing
> all I can to run as little as I absolutely have to and all these
> extra processes aren't helping!

I don't see the problem. If those Akonadi resources are not used then
they won't use any CPU and, consequently, don't produce any heat. If
those Akonadi resources wouldn't exist then KMail would use that bit CPU
that's now used by the resources. In KDE SC 3.5 the resources were
hidden in-process. Now they are separate processes. That doesn't make
them more CPU or memory hungry.

What you definitely want to do is disable strigi, but I guess you
already did so.

Alternatively, follow Werner's example and stay with KDE SC 3.5. If all
you want is email then there's no point in using KDE SC 4.4.