[kdepim-users] ONLY start KMail?

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 23:24:09 BST 2010

On Wed May 12 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> I don't see the problem. If those Akonadi resources are not used then
> they won't use any CPU and, consequently, don't produce any heat. If
> those Akonadi resources wouldn't exist then KMail would use that bit CPU
> that's now used by the resources. In KDE SC 3.5 the resources were
> hidden in-process. Now they are separate processes. That doesn't make
> them more CPU or memory hungry.
>
> What you definitely want to do is disable strigi, but I guess you
> already did so.
>
> Alternatively, follow Werner's example and stay with KDE SC 3.5. If all
> you want is email then there's no point in using KDE SC 4.4.

Easy enough to say, but in practice it's impossible to do if you want to
use a "modern" version of KDE. To use KDE 3.5, I'd have to downgrade KDE
completely and would not be able to use the advanced features of the WM
that I *like.* Unfortunately, I'd have to recompile everything from scratch
to stick with the "old style" KMail.
My only question is "if these things aren't even being used, why are they
running in the first place?" Is it a *requirement* that all this crap run in
the background? Why do you require all this junk just to get email? Am I
going to have to sacrifice the functionality and experience and get a new
email client?