[kdepim-users] Kmail distribution lists

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun May 16 10:59:12 BST 2010

On Saturday 15 May 2010 23:35:29 upscope wrote:
>  I have five address book folders under personal
> Contacts. Entries vary from 6 to 72 names. I then selected entries
> from the the folders that I wanted to be on my mailing lists
> (distribution lists) by entering them in a new kmail message and
> saved the list by clicking the save list button. This asked me where
> to store them. I put them in a separate folder under personal
> contacts called Mailing_lists. Now when I go into kmail and select
> Address book: Distribution Lists they show up. Also my three older
> kmail distribution lists also show up (Nor sure where they are keep
> but must have been from the migration).
>
> Mainly I see all my contacts under ~/.local/contacts/ in several
> address book folders and the Mailing_Lists contacts the new
> lists(distribution) but not the old ones.  Where wood they be keep.

I don't see my old distribution lists at all.  What I do see, however, in
KMail, is groups that are formed by Categories that I gave in my old
addressbook.  KAddressBook must be using data that is hidden from the GUI at
this time, to do that.  Tagging will, I think, do the same as Categories did
on the old one.

The problem is complicated by the fact that the storage of distribution lists
changed over time.  At one point them were stored in a file
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/distlists and later they were stored within the .vcf
itself.  The distlists file doesn't seem to be being read.  You might like to
try getting KAddressBook to read your std.vcf as a temporary additional
addressbook.  If you can see your distribution lists there you could then drag
them into your folder.

I don't know much about MySQL, so someone else will have to answer that part -
sorry :-)  You might like to look at the Akonadi Configuration, server tab,
though.  If you are familiar with mysql you might be able to work things out
from there.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group