[kdepim-users] Kmail distribution lists

upscope upscope at nwi.net
Sun May 16 18:17:03 BST 2010

On Sunday, May 16, 2010 02:59:12 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 15 May 2010 23:35:29 upscope wrote:
> >  I have five address book folders under personal
> >
> > Contacts. Entries vary from 6 to 72 names. I then selected
> > entries from the the folders that I wanted to be on my mailing
> > lists (distribution lists) by entering them in a new kmail
> > message and saved the list by clicking the save list button.
> > This asked me where to store them. I put them in a separate
> > folder under personal contacts called Mailing_lists. Now when
> > I go into kmail and select Address book: Distribution Lists
> > they show up. Also my three older kmail distribution lists
> > also show up (Nor sure where they are keep but must have been
> > from the migration).
> >
> > Mainly I see all my contacts under ~/.local/contacts/ in
> > several address book folders and the Mailing_Lists contacts
> > the new lists(distribution) but not the old ones.  Where wood
> > they be keep.
>
> I don't see my old distribution lists at all.  What I do see,
> however, in KMail, is groups that are formed by Categories that
> I gave in my old addressbook.  KAddressBook must be using data
> that is hidden from the GUI at this time, to do that.  Tagging
> will, I think, do the same as Categories did on the old one.
>
> The problem is complicated by the fact that the storage of
> distribution lists changed over time.  At one point them were
> stored in a file ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/distlists and later they
> were stored within the .vcf itself.  The distlists file doesn't
> seem to be being read.  You might like to try getting
> KAddressBook to read your std.vcf as a temporary additional
> addressbook.  If you can see your distribution lists there you
> could then drag them into your folder.
>
> I don't know much about MySQL, so someone else will have to
> answer that part - sorry :-)  You might like to look at the
> Akonadi Configuration, server tab, though.  If you are familiar
> with mysql you might be able to work things out from there.
>
> Anne
Thanks for the reply. I did try adding a name, password etc for the
MySQl server in the Akonadi configuration, but I did not see any
difference. I just finished installing Qt4.6.3 since an earlier
thread mentioned it is the min requirement for Akonadi. I had 4.5.X.

 Wil try again after I reboot and make sure everything else works
OK. probably late tonight.

Thanks again