[kdepim-users] More breakage on upgrade to 4.4.3

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun May 23 19:27:31 BST 2010

On Sunday 23 May 2010, Raj Mathur wrote:
> I haven't yet had a stable addressbook interface going, but the
> upgrade to 4.4.3 (Debian testing) has made things much worse.  Let
> me see if I can enumerate the problems:
>
> - I use VCard directory to store my 16K+ contacts.  kaddressbook now
> doesn't allow me to add that as a data source, giving the message:
>
>   Could not add address book: Agent instance creation timed out

Hmm. Did you try whether this is caused by the number of contacts in the
address book?

> - I had a binary address book and an LDAP address book (for testing
> earlier) which I'd removed.  Now they're back in kaddressbook, and I
> cannot delete them.

What happens when you try to delete them (via the corresponding context
menu entry in KAddressBook)?

> - Control centre/Advanced/KDE Resources does show me my dir address
> book, but does not allow me to add any more.  The only options in the
> drop-down are: Contacts, Calendars, Notes, Alarms.

Forget about Control centre/Advanced/KDE Resources. KDE Resources are no
longer supported directly by KAddressBook. KAddressBook does now use
Akonadi. Simply create additional address books in KAddressBook.

> - Every time I open Akonadi Configuration I get a couple more address
> books resources in the list out of nowhere.  I delete them and they
> come back after a while.
>
> Incidentally I'm also the author of KBBDB
> (http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/57937) and I have no clue what the
> DBUS interface to add a VCard to an address book is anymore.  Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Log outputs, screenshots, debugging available on request.

I suggest to contact the kde-pim mailing list to get answers to your
question about the DBus interface.