[kdepim-users] How to disable Akonadi?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Mar 19 10:11:21 GMT 2010

On Thursday 18 March 2010 16:32:10 Daniel Richard wrote:
> On Thursday 18 March 2010 05:52:37 am Darknight wrote:
> > 2010-03-18 14:49:54 Thomas Taylor
> >
> > > How can I disable Akonadi from starting when kmail starts?  Every time
> > > kmail starts, Akonadi displays an error message about failing
> > > self-test.
> > >
> > >   I can save the message (see attached) but when I click on the
> > >   messages
> > >
> > > close button, it crashes kmail.
> >
> > I had the same problem, in my case it was mysql 5.1, with 5.0 it works.
> >

> Same sort of issues here.  When I first installed Mandriva 2010 with KDE,
> it started the Akondi and gave me the errors mentioned about failing
> mysql5.1.  I am using Kontact for mail and most of it seems to be working
> OK, but there are times when I try to retrieve mail that it locks up
> (maybe unrelated).  I also have not been able to set up the archiving in
> Kontact.

Because KMail depends on KAddressBook you can not run it without Akonadi.  You
have to sort out the problems so that Akonadi, and hence KMail, can work.
First - the obvious question.  I assume that there's no possibility that mysql
was not re-started since the update?

Read the error message carefully, then see if any of the entries in
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi match your problem.

I don't know whether your fetching problems could be related or not, but
certainly KMail can be expected to have problems if it is trying to use a
database that is corrupt.  I'd be inclined to try the commands given to remove
the existing database, though you probably need to sort out the mysql problem
first.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group