[kdepim-users] Sort Order in KDE-PIM

Bob Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Mon Mar 22 19:09:50 GMT 2010

On March 21, 2010 04:53:48 am Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 20 March 2010, Bob Smits wrote:
> > Unfortunately the sort order in KDEPIM is set to that silly one
> > where, for example, in a list of contacts, CUPE 2000 comes before
> > CUPE 222.
>
> This isn't a silly sort order. It's the simple lexicographical sort
> order. Brad wrote how to get what you want.

I understand that it's the simple lexographic sort, Ingo.

It has ALWAYS seemed like a silly sort order because many organizations have
numbers incorporated as part of the name - union locals, for example. It has
always, and still does, seem silly to me to put CUPE 606 after CUPE 2000 in
the sort order. I understand why it does it, but I've never understood why we
would choose to use that kind of sort.

No offence is meant for the developers - or taken, I hope.

> > It's not ruinous, of course, just a small and constant annoyance.
> >
> > Is there a way to make it sort so that it will sort CUPE 222 before
> > CUPE 2000 in a list?
>
> What you want is called "natural sort order". Dolphin supports this.
> KAddressBook apparently does not, yet. I suggest filing a feature
> request for using "natural sorting" in KAddressBook.

Thanks. I have done so, Bug 231820

Bob.

Robert Smits Email bob at rsmits.ca