[kdepim-users] Critically awful failure in KMail/Kontact

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:55:14 GMT 2010

OK. running KDE4.3, I tried to set up a Disconnected IMAP account for my Gmail
account, and watched it begin to slurp all the accumulated mail from the last
6 years (and the imported stuff back to 1999).

Two things; first time out, Kontact crashed part-way through. Resuming the
job, I set up the folder descriptions, and decided to remove the old online
IMAP account. Removing the account icon deleted all the folders on the server
- no warning.

Secondly, today, I had it slurp all the e-mail again. It did so, eventually.
After the synchronisation was complete, I set up a new folder structure and
some filters to reprocess the e-mail into the new folders, opened all the
groups in "All Mail", selected everything and chose "apply all filters" -
after about the first 1,500 messages had been filtered, Kontact crashed with
signal 6.

Relaunching Kontact, I discover...NO TRACE OF THE ACCOUNT. Nothing, it seems,
had been stored! Presumably the entire IMAP cache was in RAM - no wonder it's
crashy, btw. Checking in the /dimap/ folder confirms that there is nothing
there.

This is really awful, both the crashiness and - worse - the "oops, why not do
it all over again" carelessness with data. I mean, how long would I have had
to keep it running before it thought to write my data to disk?

--
The only thing worse than e-mail disclaimers...is people who send e-mail to
lists complaining about them