[kdepim-users] Kontact present and future and sync questions

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Sat Mar 6 02:21:33 GMT 2010

Ingo,

Thank you so much.

But I'm still a bit comfused. I understand now that Akonadi is a layer between
apps and data storage, but where does the migration to a db (mySQL) come in?

I have read that the goal is to migrate all the apps to a SQL backend.
>From my experience with db programming it seems that that will have dramatic
benefits for access speed, searches, and cross-app access.

Looking to the future: once the apps are all ported to a SQL backend option,
wouldn't duplicating the db backend (using proper SQL duplication methods) be
the best way to maintain data integrity for one person between the two
machines?

I should have mentioned before, I tend to install software and run it
unaltered for years. The last time I upgraded my machine was about six years
ago. I run straight Debian. I'm from the 'Don't Fix What Isn't Broken' school
of thought.

So you  can see why I am trying to divine the future as much as possible. Once
I decide and commit to a new organization software, I don't want to have to
change again until absolutely necessary.

Thanks again. Kontact looks and runs so well right now. It's the hands-down
first choice for me. I've been testing it on my Asus 1005PE-P netbook (Atom
450) running Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It's very snappy on this little box.

Regards,

Robert