[kdepim-users] How to disable Akonadi?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Mar 21 12:49:14 GMT 2010

On Friday 19 March 2010, 'Eddie wrote:
> On Friday 19 Mar 2010 10:11:21 Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Same sort of issues here.  When I first installed Mandriva 2010
> > > with KDE, it started the Akondi and gave me the errors mentioned
> > > about failing mysql5.1.  I am using Kontact for mail and most of
> > > it seems to be working OK, but there are times when I try to
> > > retrieve mail that it locks up (maybe unrelated).  I also have
> > > not been able to set up the archiving in Kontact.
> >
> > Because KMail depends on KAddressBook you can not run it without
> > Akonadi. You have to sort out the problems so that Akonadi, and
> > hence KMail, can work. First - the obvious question.  I assume
> > that there's no possibility that mysql was not re-started since
> > the update?
> >
> > Read the error message carefully, then see if any of the entries in
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi match your problem.
> >
> > I don't know whether your fetching problems could be related or
> > not, but certainly KMail can be expected to have problems if it is
> > trying to use a database that is corrupt.  I'd be inclined to try
> > the commands given to remove the existing database, though you
> > probably need to sort out the mysql problem first.
>
> I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it but why should KMail be
> dependent on KAddressBook?

KMail does not depend on KAddressBook. But KMail and KAddressBook and
almost any other KDE application dealing with email addresses or other
aspects of contacts use the same backend for accessing contacts. And
this backend uses Akonadi.

So you can easily have KMail without KAddressBook. But you cannot have
KMail without Akonadi. (Just because your distribution is not able to
get the dependencies for KMail right is no reason to ask how to disable
Akonadi.)