[kdepim-users] what's with changing my shortcuts???

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Mar 3 20:18:57 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> I don't know what happened, but suddenly today all my shortcuts got
> reset, so that CTRL+ENTER became "select all" instead of "send
> message" and such. This is highly annoying. Is this some sort of
> "global reset" on the shortcuts? It hung my system a few minutes go
> so that I had to shut down my VNC server to get KMail to shut down
> after it locked up when I used CTL+ENTER to try and send an email
> that I had typed up.
>
> Is there some sort of "global reset" shortcut for the shortcuts that
> I might have hit by accident???? I know I haven't installed any
> updates today and it was working fine right up until I tried to send
> that email.

I'm not aware of the existence of something like "jumble all shortcuts".
KMail stores user defined shortcuts in
  ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/kmcomposerui.rc
and
  ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/kmmainwin.rc
for the composer and the main window, respectively. (Depending on your
distribution you might have to look into ~/.kde4 instead of ~/.kde.)

As you have problems with the shortcut for sending mail have a look into
kmcomposerui.rc. The shortcuts are defined at the end of this file. If
your copy of kmcomposerui.rc doesn't look suspicious (or if you do not
find this file in the above mentioned location) then have a look at the
global copy of this file. On openSUSE it is in
/usr/share/kde4/apps/kmail/kmcomposerui.rc

Could it be that the problems were actually caused by the VNC client?
Did the problem with the wrong shortcuts persist after you restarted the
VNC client?