[kdepim-users] Save Kmail settings

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Jun 20 16:45:11 BST 2010

On Sunday 20 June 2010 14:20:55 Pascal Bernhard wrote:

> I do keep a separate home partition, of which I regularly make a backup
> (bad memories). I stayed with Debian Testing/Squeeze since it seems quite
> robust to me. It kept working surprisingly well even after several dozens
> of system freezes due to broken binaries in the official ATI graphics
> driver I downloaded from the firm's website. But already I few weeks later
> (after installing the first Debian OS) there are quite a few differences
> in kernel version, program versions and assorted problems concerning some
> packages, while other things are lot easier. I luckily haven't had any
> contact with Akonadi so far. A friend of mine once described Akonadi as
> the thing that always crashes as soon as one logs in to KDE. :-)

For some people that was indeed the truth, although I suspect that in other
cases Akonadi got the blame (because it was clearly 'the new bit') when it
wasn't actually the problem.  Anyway, I think that's no longer true :-)

There are a number of issues that people meet, simply depending on the way
that different distros package things.  The chief developer of KAddressBook,
the first application to be completely ported to Akonadi, has been very
helpful in getting reliable information onto the UserBase pages about Akonadi
and KAddressBook.  I recommend that you read all four pages (they are all
cross-referenced) when you are ready to tackle it.  Most people have found
that their problems are solved by one or more of the issue solutions listed
there.

Video drivers are another story.  Still far too many of us have serious
problems.  I don't use the proprietary drivers - in fact I don't even know
whether there are any for my laptop's Intel card - but I can't run any desktop
effects at all without X crashing.  ATi and NVidia all have problems.  In fact
at the moment the whole outlook on video cards seems pretty miserable.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group