[kdepim-users] Smartphone searched which can do a local sync with Kontact (KDE > 4.4.3)

Andreas Schneider aksdb at gmx.de
Mon Jun 21 19:04:06 BST 2010

Ecaroh wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Nowadays i sync my Palm Treo 650 via USB HotSync/Kpilot with Kontact
> 1.2.9 on Lenny/KDE 3.5.10. As kpilot is not in KDE SC 4.4 anymore and
> my Palm is getting old i am searching for a smartphone which can do the
> job as good as my Palm does. And, it does it nearly perfect!
>
> [...]
>
> Excludes (k.o.):
>  * Sync via Internet
>  * Sync via services like funambol
>  * Sync via Google
>  * Any compiler orgy
>
> [...]
> I do not want to sync my business data over any public network and
> prefer the local sync. Yes, I have searched the internet up and down,
> but did not find an reliable answer.
> [...]

You could also sync via a service you host. For example I sync a cheap phone
of mine via SyncML, which is supported by eGroupware I host locally.
eGroupware also supports GroupDav (and xmlrpc), which is my link to Kontact
then. All you need is a database, webserver, and php - either on an intranet
server or just local as an intermediary step for sync.
Tine for example supports ActiveSync instead of SyncML, but I have no idea
if it supports any protocol that Kontact could use.
Even Funambol can be hosted locally, though.

Best Regards,
Andreas.