[kdepim-users] CSV Export Re-arranges Data

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 3 21:46:42 BST 2010

On Thursday 01 July 2010 20:53:06 John Gutierrez wrote:
> Wow, am I unhappy.
>
> I just upgraded from 4.3.5 to 4.4. After exporting (CSV) my contacts from
> the "migrated" addressbook and running all of my shell scripts to create
> html pages, I discovered that the Data was all JUMBLED!

Have you actually examined the contact files under
/home/you/.local/share/contacts?  You are assuming that they are scrambed,
whereas it could equally be something in your export that has gone wrong.
Certainly I've not heard of anyone else reporting such a problem.

> Looking at the 'header' file of the exported files, I discovered that
> indeed, the fields have been substantially moved around.
>
> There was no warning that this would happen during the "automatic migration
> process'" which took place when opening the application for the first time.

As I said, I have not heard of anyone else experiencing this.  The first thing
is to look at the originals, not the exported files.

> I would consider this a major problem for anyone using csv exports in a
> production environment.  For me, it is a great pain to redo all of my shell
> scripts for my personal use.  Please don't do this again.

Do what?  You haven't ascertained what the problem is yet.  Since it's not
being commonly seen you have to look for something that has gone wrong at your
end.

> I hope that the other export choices were not so drastically affected.

What was your purpose in exporting them?

> I'm using OpenSUSE 11.2 and updated from their Desktop Factory repository.

Isn't Desktop Factory their testing/unstable package repository?

Anne