[kdepim-users] KMail crashing every time in 4.5 RC2

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jul 24 19:47:07 BST 2010

On Saturday 24 July 2010, Jim Philips wrote:
> Every time I try to start KMail or Kontact, I get a crash. I am
> running Kubuntu 10.04, but got no responses from the Kubuntu groups.
> If I start from the command line, the output looks like this:
>
> rebus at rebus-desktop:~$ kmail
> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString
> ) kmail(3603) KMFolderMgr::removeFolderAux: Can not find parent
> folder for Last Search
> kmail(3603) KMFolder::updateIndicatorIcon: Could not read image from
> "" kmail(3603) KMFolder::updateIndicatorIcon: Could not read image
> from "" kmail(3603) KMFolder::updateIndicatorIcon: Could not read
> image from "" kmail(3603) KMFolder::updateIndicatorIcon: Could not
> read image from "" kmail(3603) KMFolderImap::account: No parent
> folder found for "1524481668" <unknown program name>(3602)/:
> Communication problem with  "kmail" , it probably crashed.
> Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message
> did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "
>
> KCrash: Application 'kmail' crashing...
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from
> kdeinit sock_file=/home/rebus/.kde/socket-rebus-desktop/kdeinit4__0
>
> Is anyone else having similar issues? Any idea what is going on?

Occasionally, I also get such a crash. For me it is related to shared
IMAP folders belonging to other people. To avoid the crash on startup I
have to cancel the dialog asking for the password of my IMAP account.
Then, when KMail has started, I can access the IMAP account without
problems.

After getting this annoying crash a few times I have switched my IMAP
account to show only subscribed folders. I think this has fixed the
problem for me permanently (or maybe I have just been lucky).