[kdepim-users] KMail crashing every time in 4.5 RC2

Richard Creighton rccj at ricreig.com
Sat Jul 24 21:40:08 BST 2010

On Saturday 24 July 2010 14:47:07 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 24 July 2010, Jim Philips wrote:
> > Every time I try to start KMail or Kontact, I get a crash. I am
> > running Kubuntu 10.04, but got no responses from the Kubuntu groups.
<snip >
> > Is anyone else having similar issues? Any idea what is going on?
>
> Occasionally, I also get such a crash. For me it is related to shared
> IMAP folders belonging to other people. To avoid the crash on startup I
> have to cancel the dialog asking for the password of my IMAP account.
> Then, when KMail has started, I can access the IMAP account without
> problems.
>
> After getting this annoying crash a few times I have switched my IMAP
> account to show only subscribed folders. I think this has fixed the
> problem for me permanently (or maybe I have just been lucky).

I filed a bug report in openSuSE and KDE for segment faults in KMail beginning
with the upgrade to RC1 of KMail and continuing through the release of 11.3 of
openSuSE GM.   I use POP3 and the problem only occurs with my GMAIL
subscription to maillists.   I also have connections to 3 other servers that
also have significannt traffic but never a failure.   Something about POP3 on
GMAIL triggers segment faults in KMAIL from RC1 of KMAIL on.   I subscribed to
KDE factory and upgraded, and the rate of failures reduced from 100% to 8 or
10 times a day, usualllly when a large batch of mail comes in on the lists.

This is very frustrating, to say the least.   It seems to be related to
something regarding creating handling a new thread looking at the backtrace
but so far, the bug reports seem to be ignored both at o.o. and KDE.

Richard