[kdepim-users] Moving message to folder when mail is opened

Frank Thieme frank at fthieme.net
Sun Jul 11 12:26:23 BST 2010

On Saturday 10 July 2010 23:25:44 Pascal Bernhard wrote:
> in list view! The option to move to the next mail, when having it opened
> in a separate window has been implemented in several mail programs, even
> in MS Office Outlook for nearly a decade or even longer. Difficult to
> understand that this should not have been considered by users and
> developers alike to be an essential feature.

You probably noticed, that KMail is not recycling the open message window,
when you open another one. Instead it is opening a new window for each
message. But I guess that you expect to appear the next message in the same
window as the current one, when you say "next/prev message".

Given the actual implementation it would be rather trivial to close windows,
open next message in a new window. But I don't think it is a good solution as
everybody would ask why KMail is doing it that way.

I don't know that code parts, but I don't think it is really trivial to do
that.

> I personally do not like
> previewing messages, so I have to close or delete a message before I can
> go the next one, which is just not very efficient, regarding that I
> receive several dozens mails per day, and I want to get over with looking
> through my mail box in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't really understand your use case. I mean you don't want do preview, but
rather open the message and traverse through the list. Why?

I mean don't doing preview - for whatever reason - means that you decide I
open this message and delete that message. Exactly what KMail provides now:
Open a message, close it, delete one, open the next...

BTW: A short look didn't even showed a wish for this feature in bugs.kde.org.
Have you filed one?

BTW2: don't expect new features in KMail 1 as all developers are busy getting
KMail 2 ready.

Bye...Frank