[kdepim-users] kmail and kleopatra driving me krazy

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 26 20:43:05 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010, cl at qgenuity.com wrote:
> > On Monday 25 January 2010, cl at qgenuity.com wrote:
> >> My email provider has created its own internal certifying
> >> authority for the certificates used for pop3, etc. They allow you
> >> to download the certificate in .crt format from their
> >> ssl-protected website (website certified by a typical commercial
> >> CA), and tell you to import it into your mail program and mark it
> >> trusted.
> >>
> >> I installed kleopatra and imported the certificate. When I went to
> >> certify the certificate, the option was greyed out. After hunting
> >> through google,-I got the tip that I should put the fingerprint of
> >> the X509 key into trustlist.txt, followed by a space and the
> >> letter "S". That appears to have done nothing.
> >>
> >> Is there some way that I can get kmail to trust this X509
> >> certificate? I have gpg and gpgsm listed as available crypto
> >> backends. I dont want to have to go plaintext and toss out all
> >> security altogether.
> >
> > Kleopatra (and it's backend gpg/gpgsm) store certificates used for
> > encrypted/signed mail exchange.
> >
> > Server certificates are stored in KDE's central certificate
> > storage. I have no idea where KDE's certificate manager has gone
> > in KDE 4. I suggest you try to import the certificate with
> > Konqueror.
>
> I gave that a try, but konqueror just opened kleopatra.
>
> I'd been trying to figure out where kmail's "other" certificate store
> is myself, with no success. Also, konqueror no longer has an option
> for "certificates" under "Configure koqueror", so I don't know where
> or how it handles things either.

Yeah. I vaguely remember there being some talk about porting the
certificate manager to KDE 4. Apparently, this never happened.

I have found the following relevant files:
~/.kde/share/config/ksslcertificates
~/.kde/share/config/ksslcalist
~/.kde/share/config/ksslpolicies
~/.kde/share/apps/kssl/ca-bundle.crt

I have no idea how to add a certificate to those files.