[kdepim-users] KMail plain text rendering issue

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Jan 20 12:50:38 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> Hello. For the last couple months (since i a Debian upgrade switched KDE
> from version 3 to 4) KMail has had an annoying display "feature" where
> slashes in plain text e-mail cause the text to be displayed italicized,
> asterisks cause it to be bold, and underscores cause underlining. I'd
> greatly prefer if plain text could be rendered as plain text and not
> mangled or interpreted in any way. I haven't been able to find a way to
> work around this bug. Is there a hidden setting to turn off plain text
> mangling?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas. Failing a solution, i'll probably just
> migrate to Thunderbird as it can be configured (via an edit to
> userContent.css) to display plain text as plain text.

The two things about Open Source Software both relate to its freedom.

First, because the code is open and you are free to adapt it if you
have the skills, it is free for you to modify to your liking.

Second, nobody is making any money from it.  So threats along the
lines of, "if you dont change this I am going to the 'competition'",
don't work.  Who cares?  A better approach would be, "I would really
like to option to turn this feature on and off".

--
artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface