[kdepim-users] IMAP

Kārlis Repsons repsons at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 14:31:40 GMT 2010

On Saturday 09 January 2010 12:42:21 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Saturday 09 January 2010, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> > So... Its reality!
>
> Now that's really weird. Can you capture the IMAP communication between
> KMail/Thunderbird and the server, e.g. with wireshark? I'd really be
> interested in seeing the difference.
Emm... Well, that might be possible, but I have to use cleartext channels, not
SSL ones, right?

> > Well, thanks for attention! I'm building a longterm mail solution,
> >  which stores all mail into YEAR/MONTH/ folders and sorts it further
> >  there by using maildrop... These folder creation and utf8 problems
> >  are the worst right now, also in time archive will grow again...
>
> Why do you run into utf8 problems with this? Do you want to use month
> names as folder names? Or is the utf8 problem independent of the
> archive?
Well, this made me go through the problem again and I concluded some. Not
counting the subfolders problem mentioned previously, I guess, the only
remaining problem there could be that Dovecot still doesn't support UTF-8 on-
disk directory format. Its planned to work for Dovecot2 [1]. Now  for example
I create "ĀēļšŪ" with KMail, but get "&AQABEwE8AWEBag-" on server. I want my
system to be maximally universal and robust at its usability, so those UTF-8
directories are much waited on my side, but thats not about KMail in any
direct way, right?

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg23576.html