[kdepim-users] http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Environment_Setup

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sat Jan 16 09:06:03 GMT 2010

On Friday 15 January 2010 16:50:18 you wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> On Friday 15 January 2010 17:36:13 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I have migrated (or whatever kaddressbook did with my existing
> > > addressbook when I ran it the first time) and usually I can use it (I
> > > see the contacts, etc.).
> > >
> > > However the above mentioned error dialog appears when I log in - and
> > > therefore my question: What does that message want to tell me and how
> > > can I solve it.
> >
> > Just to clarify - did you use the Akonadi console to check what resources
> > are set up?  If you see them there with paths pointing to the new
> > location, they should be recognised as resources.  OTOH, if you are
> > seeing your old addressbook displayed, it won't be akonadi-compatible,
> > which may explain the message.
>
> Yes, I used the console.
> I have:
> akonadi_kabc_resource_0 => KDE Address Book (traditional), Status: Online,
> Idle akonadi_kabc_resource_1 => KDE Address Book (traditional), Status:

Traditional = non-akonadi

> Online, Idle akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder => Nepomuk Contact Feeder,
> akonadi_maildispatcher_agent => Mail Dispatcher Agent, Status: Online,
> Idle, Status Message: Ready to dispatch messages.
> akonadi_maildir_resource_3 => Maildir, Status:Online, Idle, Status
> Message: Offline ... (huh?)

So mail handling is set up, ready to go.  But mail migration is not yet ready.
I think that entry is correct.

> akonadi_vcard_resource_0 => VCard File,

You still haven't said whether this points to the correct new location.

> I know that these are the _resources_, but the error dialog mentions
> _resource agents_ and tells me that it searched for them.

Agents are helper applications.  Nepomuk Contact Feeder and Mail Dispatcher
Agent are examples.

> And I still don't know for _what_ it looks for and did not find...

I can only guess.  I do not see an entry similar to yours for Maildir.  My
guess is that it is the maildir agent, as described in the quote below, that
it is seeking.  It will not find it, because akonadi for mail is not yet
released.

> Is it a shared library or an executable, config file... or what ?
> What filename, etc. ?

[quote]
The maildir one is basically for handling special local folder like outbox,
sent, draft, etc.

The mail dispatcher is an agent which will handle sending of mails for Akonadi
based email clients.

They are created by a kind of "first run" checker to ensure the basic mail
infrastructure is there and has not to be checked and created by each mail
client.
[/quote]

Like everyone else, I'm learning as we go along.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group