[kdepim-users] http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Environment_Setup

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Jan 17 13:47:08 GMT 2010

On Saturday, 2010-01-16, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 15 January 2010 16:50:18 you wrote:
> > Hi Anne,

> > > Just to clarify - did you use the Akonadi console to check what
> > > resources are set up?  If you see them there with paths pointing to the
> > > new location, they should be recognised as resources.  OTOH, if you are
> > > seeing your old addressbook displayed, it won't be akonadi-compatible,
> > > which may explain the message.
> >
> > Yes, I used the console.
> > I have:
> > akonadi_kabc_resource_0 => KDE Address Book (traditional), Status:
> > Online, Idle akonadi_kabc_resource_1 => KDE Address Book (traditional),
> Traditional = non-akonadi

In this case it means Akonadi accessing the address book data through a
traditional plugin.
Depending on which plugin there might be an Akonadi resource for doing this
directly, e.g. the vcard resource if the plugin used is the one for local
files.

> > akonadi_vcard_resource_0 => VCard File,
>
> You still haven't said whether this points to the correct new location.
>
> > I know that these are the _resources_, but the error dialog mentions
> > _resource agents_ and tells me that it searched for them.
>
> Agents are helper applications.  Nepomuk Contact Feeder and Mail Dispatcher
> Agent are examples.

Resources are a special form of agents.
Akonadi uses the XDG_DATA_DIRS mechanism to look for them, so if they are
installed outside the default search paths (/usr/share or /usr/local/share)
the environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS needs to include the additional prefix,
e.g. /opt/kde4/share if /opt/kde4 is used as the install prefix.

An important thing to remember is that environment variables are taken from
the environment a process is launches in, so if for example a variable is set
after the launch of the D-Bus session daemon and this daemon then launches a
process, the new process will not see the change variable.

A similar difference can happen if a variable is set in a shell config file
which is only read by interactive shells, so the one running KDE's start
script "startkde" and thus KDE itself will have a different environment than
any shell running in a Konsole window.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring