[kdepim-users] IMAP

Kārlis Repsons repsons at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:18:10 GMT 2010

On Thursday 03 December 2009 09:46:24 Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> Hi all,
> not knowing much about IMAP, I'm still going to set up Dovecot that way --
> what I wanted to know is about search: how can dovecot's indexing feature
>  be taken advantage of, when a search is performed with kmail?
>  "Automatically"? Well, just to make sure it actually can work out...

And now I'm back with some other, more concrete questions, but first I'll tell
briefly what has been done.

I decided to sort mails per year/month and then set up an automatic mechanism
to sort within a month folder as desired. First I had to migrate a chunk of
old mails to those perhaps over 1k directories. Note, that I set dovecot to
:LAYOUT=fs, so I can use that mail tree with mutt in an emergency situation
(which caused that all folders had to be created by hand on server, failure
with kmail). But I've not finished the migration yet, because kmail is deadly
slow. It takes some hours for it to process those folders every time kmail is
started and it "burns" a cpu core.

Is that nonstandard serverside mails tree format to blame? Or with maildir++
it'd be about just as slow?

I read, some other IMAP module/whatever is going to be ready for KMail, but is
there sufficient reason to think, it will handle such large imap mailbox trees,
which are in addition filesystem trees, not maildir++?