[kdepim-users] location of local folder

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Thu Jan 14 17:20:50 GMT 2010

Am Thursday 14 January 2010 18:03:48 schrieb Arnaud G:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Kontact 4.3.2 and KMail 1.12.2 on Debian/Squeeze.
>
> My goal is to place the "local folders" on a network drive where my storage
> space is pretty high and for security reasons. I do not want to keep
> anything on my laptop.
>
> I am using IMAP so for my IMAP accounts it's working fine as it's always
> accessible.
>
> The reasonning behind that is that I store in my "local folders" emails
> that I want to archive and emails that are dealt with. I do not delete my
> emails.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way of doing it?
> 2) What would be the consequences of doing it.
>
> I looked around to find a solution, googled it to no availability.
>
> Ultimately is there a better way of achieving what I want to do?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly with 'local folders' - do you mean the
directory where you store your documents (pics, text files, spreadsheets..)
in, or rather your complete $HOME (including hidden directorys for application
settings, like ~/.kde ...) ?
in general, keeping documents on any supported server file system (smb, nfs
..) should not be a problem at all.
things like ~/:kde are better kept on the local drive (due to e.g. symlinks
not supported in smb etc., but moreover also the fact that you will loose all
your settings if the server is not available).

werner