[kdepim-users] IMAP

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 10 00:45:06 GMT 2010

On Saturday 09 January 2010, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> On Saturday 09 January 2010 12:42:21 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Saturday 09 January 2010, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> > > So... Its reality!
> >
> > Now that's really weird. Can you capture the IMAP communication
> > between KMail/Thunderbird and the server, e.g. with wireshark? I'd
> > really be interested in seeing the difference.
>
> Emm... Well, that might be possible, but I have to use cleartext
>  channels, not SSL ones, right?

Yes. If that's not possible without compromising security then maybe
it's possible to make dovecot log all of the IMAP communication. (?)

> > > Well, thanks for attention! I'm building a longterm mail
> > > solution, which stores all mail into YEAR/MONTH/ folders and
> > > sorts it further there by using maildrop... These folder creation
> > > and utf8 problems are the worst right now, also in time archive
> > > will grow again...
> >
> > Why do you run into utf8 problems with this? Do you want to use
> > month names as folder names? Or is the utf8 problem independent of
> > the archive?
>
> Well, this made me go through the problem again and I concluded some.
>  Not counting the subfolders problem mentioned previously, I guess,
>  the only remaining problem there could be that Dovecot still doesn't
>  support UTF-8 on- disk directory format. Its planned to work for
>  Dovecot2 [1]. Now  for example I create "ĀēļšŪ" with KMail, but get
>  "&AQABEwE8AWEBag-" on server.

Well, this does indeed look a bit like base64. I don't know utf-7, but
is an encoding for encoding Unicode characters as sequences of 7-bit
numbers.

>  I want my system to be maximally
>  universal and robust at its usability, so those UTF-8 directories
>  are much waited on my side, but thats not about KMail in any direct
>  way, right?

No. This issue appears to be a pure Dovecot issue.