[kdepim-users] Folder identities revisited

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Feb 3 15:07:48 GMT 2010

I continue to have problems with folder identities "sticking" or being
persistent.  As this problem only seems to affect me, I have to assume there
is something in my configuration which is causing this.

My setup is
kmail 1.12.4
kde 4.3.5
kubuntu 9.10

kmail running outside kontact most of the time.

I have 4 email accounts, all gmail IMAP.  There are three gmail accouts that
serve these 4 addresses.  alexion.com is the default account/identity set in
kmail.  art.alexion at gmail .com is a separate gmail account.  This latter gmail
account also retrieves and servers art.alexion at verizon.net. The fourth is
another domain gpr.net, with its own gmail IMAP account.

For those not familiar with the latter setup, gmail POPs the verizon.net
account and re-serves it to me via IMAP or webmail.  In doing this, gmail
appends a label, art.alexion at verizon.net to that mail and the label becomes an
IMAP folder.

My kmail folder tree has 4 main branches, Local Folders (mostly unused),
alexion.com, gpr.net, and gmail.com.  In alexion.com, folders are set to the
default identity and this sticks.  In gpr.net, folders are not set to default
identity, but to the gpr.net identity, and this setting also sticks.

In the gmail.com identity, no folders are set to the default identity.  A few
are set to the verizon.net identity, and the rest are set to the gmail.com
identity.  The check box as to whether the default identity is set, sticks on
all folders here.  The folders set to the verizon.net identity also stick,
perfectly.  However, the folders set to the gmail.com identity always, after
more than 5 minutes, but less than an hour, revert to the alexion.com identity
with is the default identity for the kmail application as a whole.

I have made this setting in the gui and have hand edited kmailrc many times.
The settings I set stick for that short period of time, but eventually revert
to alexion.com.

Unless there are better suggestions, I am thinking of moving kmailrc and
letting kmail re-create a fresh one, and remaking the settings from scratch.

Which settings will I lose doing this?

Any easier suggestions?

I apologize for the long explanation, but wanted to include all of the details
in case something there may be significant.

this is getting intolerable as I always forget to check the identity with each
mail and list mail is being sent from the wrong identity a lot.

--
Art Alexion