[kdepim-users] Online sync of Kontact?

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Sun Feb 7 09:21:05 GMT 2010

Am Sunday 07 February 2010 00:40:09 schrieb r bartlett:
> But the problem with that is that Yahoo happily sells anything on its
> servers to any agency that asks...for about 40 dollars a pop.  In
> addition, I currently use Kontact to aggregate a bunch of different
> addresses and already ssh into it from a home server.  But there are many
> times when I am away from the internet and need to access my calendar or
> contacts, such as when I am on a train writing postcards.  At times like
> that it would be nice to have a non-online way to use Kontact, one which
> would then (if I for example added an address that someone had given me)
> upsync to the server the next time I am online.
>
> I suppose the idea of not wanting Yahoo (or any megacorp) to have reams of
> data on me is already passe, but my question is whether there is a way to
> do this using Kontact and a home server...and whether Kontact can be run
> in an offline mode.
>
> Maybe I am missing the Yahoo IMAP concept but it seems like the exact
> opposite of what I am trying to do.  If I wanted an online calendar and
> addressbook, Google has them, so does Yahoo...but I want to use Kontact.

as already proposed: DIMAP is as suitable solution for the described
requirements.
all it needs is an IMAP server for your emails anywhere on the internet,
wether the one from yahoo, google, ... or your own home server doesn't matter.
be aware that kontact is a full featured IMAP client, same for DIMAP =
Disconnected IMAP, thus keeps a local copy of all what is on the server,
allowing you not only to use the addressbook/contacts etc. when you are
offline, but also sync'ing back any changes (e.g. new addresses) you made
during offline mode, when you go back online.
otherwise, there are also other possible solutions, see my other post in
thread
'Akonadi and synchronized computer'.

werner