[kdepim-users] Creating directory folders with kmail (disconnected IMAP)

Carsten Burghardt carsten at cburghardt.com
Thu Feb 11 12:44:51 GMT 2010

Zitat von Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:

> On Wednesday 11 February 2009, Pavel Laskov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is it possible to create directory folders using an disconnected IMAP
>> client in kmail? I am using KMail version 1.9.10 (KDE 3.5.10) with a
>> UW server and could only create file folders (i.e. for holding
>> messages rather than folders). When I tested a regular (online) IMAP
>> client against the same server, I was offered a prompt whether I
>> wanted a folder to contain messages or folders. For the dimap
>> account, a message folder was created automatically without any
>> prompt. As a result, any attempt to create subfolders ended in error
>> messages a la "Cannot create folder; authorization failed". This
>> happened regardless of whether a folder was created online or
>> offline.
>>
>> Is this a bug or a feature? Or is it a problem with a specific
>> version/server combination?
>
> It's a problem with the way the UW IMAP server handles folders. In my
> opinion, it's broken by design that a folder can either hold message or
> subfolders, but not both. I had a quick look at KMail's source code.
> KMail doesn't seem to support creation of folders holding subfolders.
> (I do remember seeing a prompt like the one you have seen with another
> client, but I probably didn't see it with KMail.) So, I guess, you'll
> have to use this other client for creating folders holding subfolders.
> I hope you'll still use KMail for anything else.

I didn't have a look at the source code for many moons but in the past
online imap supported this separation. It was implemented in the
kioslave (and therefore hard to find) if I remember correctly. I do
not know if that is supported with disconnected imap though.

> BTW, if you have a choice then don't use a UW IMAP server. We have
> received many reports about problems with this server, much more than
> for any other IMAP server.

Yup, UW imap is extremely easy to setup but an absolutely crappy product.

Carsten