[kdepim-users] KDE SC 4.4.0 and address book (solved)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Feb 28 10:41:52 GMT 2010

On Sunday 28 February 2010, Werner Joss wrote:
> Am Saturday 27 February 2010 20:03:46 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > "KDE Address Book (traditional)" is a compatibility resource that
> > needs to be used for address books for which there is not yet a
> > native Akonadi resource, e.g. for "Address Book on IMAP Server via
> > KMail". "KDE Address Book (traditional)" should not be used for
> > address books stored as local (vCard) file or as local folder of
> > individual vCards. The native Akonadi resources for those types of
> > address books can make use of the full functionality of Akonadi
> > and should therefore be preferred.
>
> hm,
> is there a brief explanation for that anywhere ?
> what is the limitation of local vcard files ?

You mean, what is the limitation of a local vCard file used via the
compatibility Akonadi resource (i.e. "KDE Address Book (traditional)")
opposed to a local vCard file used via the new native Akonadi resource
(i.e. "VCard File")?

I do not know the details, but does it really matter? It should be
rather obvious that using a compatibility layer is subpar to using a
native layer because
a) it adds a level of complexity, i.e. another point of failure, and
b) the compatibility layer adds compatibility for all of the KDE
resources supported before Akonadi and thus cannot be tailored
specifically for the needs of a single case.

I see only one reason why one would prefer the compatibility resource
over the native resource: If the native resource has a bug which does
not occur with the compatibility resource. To my knowledge this is not
the case.

BTW, during migration of the address books to Akonadi all old vCard file
and vCard folder address books are converted to the corresponding native
Akonadi resources and all other address books are made available to
Akonadi via the compatibility Akonadi resource.

If you are really interested in the details then you might want to ask
on the kde-pim mailing list.